The agency is unique in its counselling approach to child sexual abuse and compulsive coping behaviours (such as addictions), we recognize that many survivor's compulsive coping behaviours grow of their attempts to cope with the pain that comes from their abuse.
The Laurel Centre assists women to:
- Understand the ways in which the abuse has affected their lives (consequences of victimization).
- Identify and deal with feelings related to the abuse.
- Examine their beliefs about the abuse and about themselves to alleviate guilt and shame.
- Identify their strengths and survival skills and celebrate them.
- Identify self-defeating behavior and bring about change.
- Develop and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Feel better about themselves and develop a sense of dignity and self worth.